Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Fired transgender prof, Christian school settle dispute

Looks like the Nemecek case is over. Thanks to Paul Secunda of Workplace Prof Blog for the tip.

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A transgender professor who was fired by a Christian school has reached a settlement in her sex discrimination complaint.
Julie Nemecek and Spring Arbor University agreed to the deal Monday after mediation talks with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Terms of the settlement were not released, though Nemecek said Tuesday she will no longer be employed by the school outside Jackson, about 75 miles west of Detroit.
"It was a lengthy process and both sides are happy," said Nemecek, a married man who recently changed her name from John. "I'm looking for other employment. I may do some consulting work. I'm definitely going to do advocacy for transgender issues. I won't give up that fight."

I'm glad to hear that Prof. Nemecek was able to work out a satisfactory settlement. Litigation is bad news unless you just have no other choice. Though I would have dearly loved to see what a court would say on that BFOQ issue. Ah well.