Friday, June 3, 2011

Coming Out In The Chemical Sciences

Everyone know that "chemistry" can be important in the workplace environment. Here's what actual chemists have to say about it.

Coming Out In The Chemical Sciences | Employment | Chemical & Engineering News: "Job satisfaction is even harder to attain for transgender chemists.

“Michael,” who asked that his name be changed for this story, transitioned from female to male when he was an undergraduate student. Now a postdoc in a chemistry department at a large research university, Michael says he has not told anybody at his workplace about his gender reassignment out of fear of repercussions. “My past experiences have shown me that if I am out, it dramatically changes the way that people interact with me, and it makes me feel unsafe in my work environment,” he says."