Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Harris as VP pick brings diversity, LGBTQ ally to Biden ticket

 




Jillian Weiss, a New York-based transgender advocate who has been critical of Harris’ handling of trans inmate cases, said via email to the Blade she believes the vice presidential candidate “has moved beyond her previously limited understanding of transgender rights.”

“The entire country is learning about the importance of trans rights,” Weiss said. “I am certain that she will be a leader who actively supports increased rights for trans people. I am doubly certain that she and Joe Biden will be head and shoulders better for trans people than the actively transphobic administration we now have.”

“I disagree with her on some of her past and current positions,” Weiss said. “My yardstick for political support is not perfection. I am voting for her and for Joe Biden so that the suffering our community now endures can be alleviated.”