Friday, March 24, 2006

For Newcomers

Welcome! This blog is for those who are faced with issues of "transgender workplace diversity." I discuss resources, news, and issues of importance specifically for people in those professional areas who need to know the latest on this fast-developing new category of employees. My goal is to help you develop cultural competence and knowledge resources so that transgender issues and gender transition in the workplace are successful for everyone concerned.

We're syndicated by NewsTex and can also be found on LexisNexis. But you can access the latest at http://transworkplace.blogspot.com/

To start with a definition, the Oxford English Dictionary defines "transgender" as "identity that does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender, but combines or moves between these." I note that this definition is by no means universally accepted, but it's a pretty good start for the newcomer.

Because this is an issue that is relatively new for most of us, it can be hard to decide what steps should be taken in the organizational environment. What should be done about facilities access, employment records, insurance benefits, and concerns of co-workers and customers? You can find some answers here. Best place to start: check out the clickable index of postings at the right side of the blog. You can find posts on such topics as "Bathrooms and Locker Rooms," "Corporate Diversity," and "Municipal and County Law."

I have a lot of experience with this issue, both academically and practically, and with employment issues generally. My background includes J.D. and Ph.D degrees, 20 years in the corporate world, and consulting with Fortune 500 companies and public agencies. I am the principal of Jillian T. Weiss & Associates, a consulting firm specifically devoted to transgender workplace diversity. I am also Associate Professor of Law and Society at Ramapo College. You can learn more about me and my research at my webpage.

If you'd like to subscribe to this blog via email, enter your email in the box on the right-hand side of the page labeled "Subscribe Via Email." Please feel free to email me at jweiss@ramapo.edu if you have further questions. My consulting firm address is jtwassociates@gmail.com.


Best,


Jillian